Saturday 19 April 2014

Treading Fine Lines

My primary aim for my final project is to celebrate unsung heroes related to Manchester,
I wanted to Celebrate them without offending anybody, so took a risk when I was experimenting with the idea of depicting Alan Turing as Snow White.
I wanted the image to put forwards the connections the two parties shared, for example, the 'problems' both had were natural.
Nothing could be done about Snow Whites beauty, it was natural, it was her Queens jealousy that was the real problem, as was the case with Turing's sexuality, and society of the time being so intolerable of homosexuality.
They both helped others, Turing with his input and knowledge bringing about the end of a world war and no doubt saving many lives with his efforts, and Snow White with her caring, motherly manner that she showed when taking care of the dwarves.
I had to be careful not to just draw a man dressed as Snow White and had to find as much of a natural bind as possible.
after many quick rough drafts, I felt that I had achieved this when I finished this drawing..


I was happy that I had managed to bind the innocence of both Snow White and Alan Turing, without crossing a line into cartoon or parody, as both of those sectors were pitfalls I wanted to avoid for now, I did however want to explore them later in the project as a nod toward the fun loving person that Alan Turing had been depicted as in my reading of him and also a nod to Walt Disney and the things he had done for animation. (Snow White and the Seven Dwarves being the first feature length animated movie).
I duplicated the image above numerous times, playing with colour, and how much to use and where to use it, finally settling on this variation.. It felt dramatic but still soft enough that neither Alan Turing or Snow White dominated the image.

                                               

Happy with the way things were progressing, I decided it was time to widen my view and try to find other avenues to help my project succeed in celebrating Alan Turing.

No comments:

Post a Comment