Tuesday 22 April 2014

Mark meet Marx

While I was generating ideas around Alan Turing and Snow White connection, I was challenged by my course leader to make a similar connection between another two seemingly unrelated persons/characters.
During the discussion Karl Marx came up, I learned that although born in Germany he actually wrote his theories of Marxism, here in Manchester.
Now though I had heard of Karl Marx and Marxism, I was far from fluent in understanding what Marxism is and what the theories of Marxism contain.
So began a Marxism crash course, attempting to understand who the man was and what he stood for, after all I couldn't find a link to anybody else if I didn't know what I was attempting to find a link to in the first place.
After almost a week of reading, I finally felt that I had a firm grasp of Marxism and what Karl Marx was about.
I sat down to start breaking it down into key words I could then illustrate and begin using to discover another link but before I even got that far I was reminded of Robin Hood, as Marxism, in my understanding is all about fairness and equality within social groups.
The link had seemingly found itself,
so I had my subject matter and set off drawing it and experimenting with ideas.
It became apparent fairly quickly that drawing Karl Marx and capturing a recognisable likeness was actually fairly easy due to his predominant white beard and black moustache, so I moved onto trying to combine Robin Hood with Karl Marx, again this was quite a lot of fun!.

I tried many different combinations and styles, cartoons, traditional portrait and minimalist strokes,
After much debate I felt like the bottom image was the one that achieved the effect that I wanted in the best way.
It will be this image I turn into a screen print for the Karl Marx portrait as a final piece for my major project, to hang beside the Alan Turing, Snow White hybrid Portrait.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment