Tuesday 22 April 2014

7 Criminals

While researching Alan Turing for  my project I became wound up at the fact he was persecuted for something that was natural.
I wanted to emphasise the ignorance in the prejudice and this left room for me to show just how silly it actually was.
I had drawn out some ideas using the seven dwarfs, to keep in line with the snow white theme but depicted them as different criminal elements, it was fun and gave a light hearted option to what had been up to date a fairly sombre ideas development process.


As much fun as it was to spend time playing with bright colours and fairly simple subject matter, I felt that this was a step too far away from what I had initially set out to achieve and so resigned it to proverbial scrap heap.
That was until a tutorial with my tutor group in which the drawing cropped up again and I was urged to continue along this line.
Bigger and individual was the plan of action for this section of the project.
I cant say that I was disappointed because it was just so much fun to do and play with. 
So after many drafts and drawing up other ideas I had created and painted 7 individual images of Walt Disney's dwarves depicting common stereotypes of different types of criminal, perpetrators of real crimes, crimes much worse than homosexuality.


I knew while painting them that they were going to a little close to the bone and could be construed as offensive but was told that I shouldn't really worry about that, since art and controversy often go hand in hand.
It was a lot of fun creating these images and a far cry from the meticulous nature of painting organic shapes to create of a portrait as I have done so many times before.
This is most certainly an avenue I will explore again in the near future.






                       

No comments:

Post a Comment