Saturday 19 April 2014

Drawing Alan Turing

There are many images of Alan Turing in books and online, often looking very sombre and every inch the mathematician and logician and scientist that he was.
I wanted to portray a different Alan Turing, one far from the posters found in I.T departments of high schools and colleges throughout the country.
I wanted to portray him, as the happy go lucky, friendly and outgoing person I discovered him to be during my research.
I began drawing a likeness and experimenting with different media, from coloured pens to screen printing, coming away with many variations and results, again another good feather in the proverbial cap when it comes to generating ideas especially when it is for such an important project.

Above are two examples of some of the first attempts of capturing Alan Turing in a more natural guise, 
In an attempt to portray him as an every day man, and not just the scientist that he was.
While exploring the idea surrounding the apple aspect of Alan Turing (the one with which he administered the fatal dose of Cyanide to himself).
I toyed with the idea of creating a portrait of Alan Turing, depicted within an apple itself.
Although tricky to do, I had some success, by scratching the flesh of the apple, and allowing air to dry it out naturally which in turn accented the marks that I had made, after a few attempts, varying the level of pressure applied to make the marks, 



This was an idea that I was keen to move on with, as the results were actually better than I had anticipated but after further attempts it was clear that the results were unpredictable and sporadic to rely on going into the later stages of the brief, so I was happy to leave it as a good idea and have it in my development file.




No comments:

Post a Comment